Hope to try this soon and add in flax seeds a bit.
If you like what your taste buds are tellin’ ya, leave behind a nice rating, share your thoughts with us in the comments, or show us your creations by tagging @noeggsorham
SALTED CITRUS VEGAN BLONDIES WITH TOASTED WALNUTS & DARK CHOCOLATE CHIPS
Chewy, rich, and buttery blondies laced with fresh orange & lemon zest, topped with a sprinkle of coarse pink salt. Packed throughout with toasted walnuts & dark chocolate chips.
Servings: 6-8 pieces
Time: 1 hr
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 99 g (1/2 c + 1 tbsp) green banana flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided (medium/coarse preferred for topping)
- 1/8 tsp Xanthan gum (optional)*
- 63 g (1/2 c) walnuts, lightly crushed
- 45 g (3 tbsp) bittersweet chocolate chips (we used 85% cacao chocolate)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax meal + 5 tbsp water)
- 1 c light coconut milk
- 2/3 c melted buttery coconut oil (or virgin coconut oil)*
- 1/2 c erythritol
- 1 tbsp freshly grated orange zest, 1 tsp aside
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest, 1/2 tsp aside
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp liquid stevia extract
WHAT TO DO
- Pre-heat oven to 325° F. Spray a standard sized nonstick loaf pan (dimensions: 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 in) with coconut oil spray, or lightly coat it with regular coconut oil.
- Roll out a piece of parchment paper long enough to cover the bottom and sides of your loaf pan.
- Then, cut the sides of the paper so that it fits directly into the middle of your pan, essentially creating a “sling” that you can use to easily remove the blondie from the pan. (Reference this article for how-to visuals.)
- Once the oven is ready, place lightly crushed walnuts on a cookie sheet and set in oven until crispy and fragrant; 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Note: Keep an eye on the walnuts, as they can go from perfect to burnt within minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, thoroughly whisk together the green banana flour, baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, and xanthan gum; whisk for about a minute to ensure the Xanthan gum is evenly distributed.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together your flax eggs and let them sit for 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk your melted buttery coconut oil into the flax eggs – this may take a couple minutes of heavy whisking. Once cohesive, whisk in coconut milk, vanilla extract, stevia, 2 tsp orange zest, and 1 tsp lemon zest.
- Pour dry ingredients on top of wet ingredients and stir – with a wooden spoon – until smooth. Then, stir in chocolate chips and toasted walnuts until evenly distributed.
- Spoon batter into prepped loaf pan and use a spoon or your hands to evenly spread the batter throughout the pan. Then, sprinkle the top with remaining 1/4 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of orange zest, and 1/2 tsp of lemon zest. Lightly press down to ensure the zest & salt sticks.
- Place in the center rack of your oven and bake for 33-37 minutes, or until the edges are set and the center is still soft; an inserted toothpick will come out clean.
- Place pan on cooling rack for 15 minutes. Then, use parchment sling to gently transfer blondies from pan to cooling rack. Let cool another 30 minutes before cutting.
- Cut in half lengthwise, then cut through horizontally three times, thus making 8 pieces. For smaller pieces, cut through vertically two times, then horizontally 4 times.
- Enjoy while lightly warm, or let cool completely then place in an airtight container and keep them at room temperature for up to 3 days.