If you have diabetes, there is a risk you will go blind, need amputations of various appendages, and die a slow painful death.
What is this risk?
Few studies have looked at this, but for any physician or surgeon, we know even a 1% risk (which it is not and is higher in patients who have poorly controlled sugar), it is not worth it.
So what should Diabetics not eat?
Here is a general recommendation;
1. Milk: Cow’s milk has a lot of carbohydrates==>sugar; Almond milk is a good subsitute
2. Bread, pasta, donuts, cake
3. Rice, potatoes
5. Beans: black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas: these have carbs so limit intake
6. Fruit: do not eat too much; avoid apples and bananas. Stick with berries but not too much
7. Juices: avoid like the plaque if you are diabetic unless it is sweetened with Stevia
8. Sodas; avoid like Plague
9. Sugar: avoid like Plague
10. Fried Dough: avoid like Plague
What You SHOULD eat if you are diabetic.
1. Plenty of green leafy veggies: spinach, collard greens, romaine salad, brussel sprouts
2. Other veggies (avoid too much peas & carrots as these tend to have more carbs than other veggies): green beans, radishes, zucchini,
3. Wild Salmon & Wild Fish: avoid fried fish or fish breaded with bread or corn
4. Seeds and Nuts if no allergies
4. Lean meats: this is controversial, Some say to eat fatty meats, but I still only recommend lean meats like chicken or turkey.
5. Cheeses if low carb and not allergic
6. Stevia is not bad
7. Quinoa: ok in moderation but not too much either
8. Corn Tortillas: don’t eat too much but a bit once in a while especially before exercising is least bad option.
Sandra Lora Cremers, MD, FACS
Monosaccharides (Simple Sugars)
|This food …||Contains …||Which breaks down to …|
|Milk and Dairy Foods||Lactose||Galactose + Glucose|
|Beer||Maltose||Glucose + Glucose|
|Table Sugar, Brown Sugar, Caster Sugar etc.||Sucrose||Glucose + Fructose|