We made the below recipe many times and my kids love them!
Here is my version from the wonderful recipe below.
My in laws from the Netherlands loved them.
We did deep fry them once (which my kids loved & I did not like); so either way works great.
Sandra Lora Cremers, MD, FACS
BETTER THAN RESTAURANT FALAFEL (VEGAN & GLUTEN FREE)
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Entree
- 4 cups stemmed and torn collard greens (one bunch), or swiss chard; I used 5-6 cups the first time; they were a little more watery so I had to compress the balls to get more of the water out. It did decrease the carb count though.
- 1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium to large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1.5 Tbsp tahini*** easy to make: see my favorite below
- 1.5 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp cumin: I put in extra Cumin always
- sea salt and black pepper
- 3-4 Tbsp oat flour (ground from gluten free oats): I make this in a Bullet or small food processor; I have also used cooked quinoa for this as well.
- ~ 4 Tbsp grapeseed or olive oil for cooking
*** Make Tahini
Yield: 1/2 cup of tahini
- 1 cup (5 ounces or 140 grams) sesame seeds, we prefer hulled
- 3 to 4 tablespoons neutral flavored oil such as grape seed, canola or a light olive oil
- Pinch of salt, optional
- Add collard greens, chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, and a healthy pinch each salt and pepper to a food processor and mix to combine (see photo).
- Once well incorporated, transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in oat flour 1 Tbsp at a time until the mixture is thick enough to handle – about 3-4 Tbsp.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added more salt, pepper and lemon juice, and a touch more tahini.
- Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat and add 2 Tbsp oil at a time. Swirl to coat pan.
- Add 4 falafel (or however many will fit very comfortably) to the pan at a time.
- Check at the 1-2 minute mark to ensure they’re not browning too quickly. If they are, slightly reduce heat. Flip once deep golden brown – about 3-4 minutes.
- Cook until the underside is golden brown as well.
- Serve immediately with hummus and paprika, or inside a pita with garlic sauce or hummus.
- Will store in the fridge, layered with parchment paper in an airtight container, for several days. Freeze to keep longer.
Serving size: 1 falafel Calories: 154 Fat: 7g Carbohydrates: 17g Sugar: 2g Sodium: 50mg Fiber: 5gProtein: 5g
Nutrition is a rough estimate for one falafel.Adapted from Real Simple.