VISION HELP HANDOUT: If you are noting a decrease in vision, please read below.
⬷ Macular Changes: are due to aging & sun exposure and are potentially part of the spectrum to ARMD (Age Related Macular Degeneration)
1. What to do: protect eyes from sun (with sunglasses & hat).
2. Check AMSLER GRID: put on refrigerator or bathroom mirror: check each eye weekly.
2. Consider taking AREDS 2 Vitamin (below) if eyeMD says you have intermediate ARMD (significant drusen in macula):
500 milligrams (mg) of vitamin C
400 international units of vitamin E
25 mg zinc as zinc oxide
2 mg copper as cupric oxide
10 mg lutein and 2 mg zeaxanthin
1000 mg of omega-3 fatty acids (350 mg DHA and 650 mg EPA)
No beta-carotene (if not smoker, can take a vitamin with no more than 15mg)
25 mg zinc
3. For more information: http://www.nei.nih.gov/areds2/PatientFAQ.asp
1. Be sure to always use prescribed eye drops without fail.
2. Know your T max (Maximum eye pressure per eye) and T goal (target pressure =approx 30% of maximum).
3. Know how your visual field looks.
⬷ GET HELP:
1. Low Vision specialists can help with daily routines: sometimes you need to check with your insurance for a referral.
2. Local help: http://www.lowvisioninfo.org/
3. National help: